|~ ESL.bloggie.com ~|
Silly girl learns to blog...WramBLing in very Bad EngRisH!
9/16/2004
Chameleon kids
My mom works for Thai government. She moves around every 4-5 years. When I was young, I moved with her to Nigeria (after 5th grade). 9 months later, I got ill and mom kicked me back to Thailand to stay with grandma.
I went back to spend a last month with old friends in 6th grade. (been together since 1st grade) Since I missed over 1/2 of the school year, I had to repeat class :~ The school I was attending offered classes up to 6th only. So, old friends left me :( I was scared of spending another 6th grade year with the ex-5th graders because some of them were my rivals :O Luckily, they became my best friends instantly! (Well, I treated them very nice hoping I won't get my butt kicked. We were also just very alike, got a long so well) I was much closer to the new ex-5th grader friends than my old friends!
So, I was one year behind but had no problem socializing with younger people at all. Some kids were only a few months younger anyway. My Junior high school year was awesome. I was pretty wild and did lots of crazy things with friends. Age wasn't an issu at all. Then we all split up to our (or parent's) choices of high schools.
I finished high school in 2 years through special speed program. I wanted to make up for the time I lost. I left high school to attend college for only a year before my mom asked me to join her new journey to Japan.
College in Thailand was fun but I wasn't attached to it. My brother was 5 years old, he picked up the language and blended in with the other Japanese kids instantly. Me? I really enjoyed myself there too. I was in school for 2 1/2 years. (a Language school and two universities) Spent the last 1/2 year doing nothing, took my brother and ran away from my mom (well, it's her idea). I came to USA to finish my college degree. (finally!)
Yeah...I got a degree when I was 25. My brother went back to Thailand with nothing but pretty good English speaking skill.
**************************************************
POINT!
Making a long story short. Moving around, getting used to new environments, people, life.. These things are pretty tough. I don't know if my WUSSY brother can take it especially in MYANMAR. Mom has left my brother (who is 16) in Thailand by himself for a year now. He fails classes, skips school and spends day+night playing game online. (Raknarok?)
My mom is going back to Thailand this Saturday to pull him out from school in Thailand and put him in a new school ... in Myanmar. He will have to repeat 9th grade again. Not to mention he's already 2 years behind because his Thai was very weak when he came back from USA a few years ago. (He spoke Japanese and English fluently) Back then my mom couldn't afford an expensive Internation School, so she made my brother studied Thai and repeated classes in order to stay in a local school.
now...he's 16 and still can't make it to a Highschool :(
Myanmar is a boring country. I'm afraid my 16 years old brother will be bored to death. I'm afraid he won't have friends at school. My mom asked me once (only once) if I could take care of my brother and find him a school in USA. I shamelessly rejected her request. She then, never mentioned it again. I'm very selfish :( Now...what's going to happen to them in Myanmar !?!?!?!
Archives
